Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

An Early Morning 29...


After rising at 5:45 this morning, Jordan & I rode 29 miles on our road bikes. For the most part we had the road to ourselves.... after all, it is a holiday weekend and it was 5:45 AM! Even though is was 97% humidity and 72 degrees, the weather was lovely and the ride was even better. This is the longest that either of us has ridden this year. We have been riding a bit during the week - about 14 miles each time, but this was a great spring board into the summer riding season. For me, at this stage, the 29 miles are impressive, but even more so, is the fact that a recently graduated collegian is getting out of a perfectly comfortable bed at 5:45 AM to ride with his Dad....

The farthest I rode last year was 54 miles. I hope to eclipse that this summer and this 29 is a good start. Jordan even had the gumption to suggest (or challenge) that we ride 100 miles before he departs for his married life. That gives us only about 3 weeks to achieve the three-digit milestone. I don't think I can do it, but we'll see how my progress matures. His challenge kind of gives me the feeling that he's been "holding back" on the Old Man.... I guess it's not surprising since he is almost 30 years younger than me.

So, here's to all you Dads out there trying to stay young, trying to burn more & more calories, trying to keep up with your kids, and trying not to look too terrible spent when your son keeps looking back and asking you, "Are you alright Dad..."? Maybe I'll let some air out of his tires next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment