Why do we collect things? For what purpose? Is anything really worth collecting? What do you do with these things after you collect them? When have you collected enough?
To some degree we all do it.... You may not even know you are collecting things, but you most likely are. But, I'm thinking about intentional efforts.
Some collect coins. Some stamps. Some collect wine. Maybe china... maybe songs. Perhaps you collect pictures.
What does Jim Bolte collect??
Words of wisdom. Yep, quotes and phrases that are chocked full of insight. I read them often and I'm always on the hunt- always looking for them.
I can find them in many places: Internet, church, speeches, conversation, kids, advertisements, etc.
Check out some of my samples:
- Don't climb the ladder to the top only to find it is leaning against the wrong wall.
- Love from the center of who you are .... don't fake it.
- One of the hardest things for a person to do is "Wait". Waiting means you're not in control.
- You do not lead by hitting people over the head.... that's assault, not leadership.
- Marriage is a committed relationship that's "good to the grave".
- A smooth sea never created a skilled mariner.
- The difference between the "right" word and the "almost right" word is the difference between "lightning" and the "lightning bug".
- Failure is the only opportunity to begin again more intelligently.
Here's what I'm doing.....
I have a leather bound book that is filled with wise sayings that I've collected over the years. I keep adding to it every chance I get.
So, why am I doing this? To give it away! I intend to leave it as a gift
to my wife and kids someday.
I will continue to contribute to it until I no longer can. I think they'll find it very useful, sentimental, worthwhile, and heartfelt.
They might even heed some of the advice.
Or then again.... they could just read my blog....
Do you collect anything?