Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

On the Road Again...



Finally. Finally I've been able to get out for my first bicycle ride on the road this morning. Of course, a REAL cyclist would have already been riding for quite a while - regardless of the weather, darkness, or traffic. But this morning, it all came together for me. I was on the road by 6:15 AM, plenty of warm morning sunshine, and minimal Saturday morning traffic. The only problem was that I am extremely out of shape!

I rode for about 65 minutes and covered 15.5 miles. Pretty slow actually, but not bad for the first outing of the year. I've been riding my indoor trainer a few times, but never more than 30 minutes at a time. Other than a sore right knee and weak legs, the main big issue tomorrow, most likely, will be the butt. (no jokes about the "big issue being the butt"...)


Ahh... Here's the Bike for Me!

All ailments aside, it was quite enjoyable to be back in the saddle, feeling the spring air blow through my hair.... OK, maybe not.... but it was good to exercise and begin the journey of getting back in shape. I hope to ride more during the week, but school traffic on the 2-lane roads is still a concern for me. But, once school finishes, there are no excuses!

Often I need some kind of goal to motivate me. The target this summer is my son's wedding on July 2 in Detroit. Gotta look good for the pics! Well, maybe "good" is carrying it a bit far.... maybe just look "better". So... the cycling has begun.

Look for me on the back roads of Madison County, Alabama. If you see someone riding slow, with no hair blowing in the wind, favoring a right knee as he climbs a hill, with a big butt squirming on his seat, it'll surely be me...

No comments:

Post a Comment