Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

I Like Skype!

It's almost like the real thing.... not quite, but almost. I don't know how they do it for free, but it's pretty cool and convenient. Skype is a computer-to-computer video conferencing application that allows you to see and speak to anyone in the world. When your wife, daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter are in Sydney, Australia, and you're in North Alabama, Skype is wonderful!

Sadly, at least for the next couple of years, this is the way we will watch Savannah grow up. But, not all is lost. This will give me a couple of years to get ready and to prepare to be a really good grandfather. After all, they really don't have grandfather grades or papaw pamphlets to teach
you the best way to grandfather your new g'daughter, especially starting at the age of two. I mean when I get to "hold and mold" her she will be in her "terrible two's". Right? How do I handle that?? It's like I'm gonna have to hit the ground running..... no warm ups..... I've never done this before!

Nevertheless, I will persevere. At least she will know me via Skype. She'll recognize my face on the computer. It might be quite a shock to her when she first she's me in real life, after two years on the "flat" monitor of the computer. She'll be surprised at how "round" I am..... OK, no jokes! Maybe I'll set a bottle of baby powder near me when I talk with her on Skype. At least my computer will smell like a baby while we're Skyping. Anyway, we'll try to make the best of it.

Actually, I just finished talking to the Sydney crew via Skype a few minutes ago. Everyone is progressing wonderfully! I also noticed in the background that there were some new additions to the interior decorating. You guessed it.... Tami has been shopping. I knew as soon as I was out of the country, she would "let loose"! I'm glad she's only staying 1 additional week, and not longer!


Now if Skype could alert me to credit card purchases..... that would really be impressive....

2 comments:

  1. Skype is amazing!
    Milla hears it ring and goes running for the computer she knows its grandmaand grandpa, she even giggles before she can see them yet!

    Savvy will be the same im sure!it doesnt take long :-) Just be crazy and play peek-a-boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, I love reading your blog....keep them coming. You are going to be a great g-daddy...is she goin tocall you J sniggy?
    E Stout

    ReplyDelete